My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: Cooking for Exams at MICO - How to make Glow-in-the-Dark Chocolate Glaze Donuts to go with Sorrel Wine

Monday, May 4, 2015

Cooking for Exams at MICO - How to make Glow-in-the-Dark Chocolate Glaze Donuts to go with Sorrel Wine

Summer is almost here and I'm studying for my final exams for my Professional Studies Program at MICO College University. Despite buying food downtown and stocking up for the long nights studying, I still feel the urge to cook and make food once in awhile.



Beef mince, a replacement for corned beef, has now gone up in price along with Pepper steak as the demand for it has increased now that we are experiencing a chicken shortage as noted in my blog article entitled “Ministry of Agriculture bans US, Canadian Chicken Products - Why H2N2 Avian Flu is Shadows of 2014 Chicken Shortage during Easter 2015”.

Kidney, as used in m recipes in my blog article entitled “Cooking at Easter at MICO - How to make a Kidney Egg Carrot Cheese Sandwich and Frozen Gum Bear Bag Juice” is now non-existent in Hi-Lo Supermarket in Cross Roads where I sometimes shop, albeit I mainly buy my stuff Downtown where it's cheapest.

Pork in any form is out of the question, and it too is going up in price as there is also an acute shortage of Pork in Jamaica as explained my blog article entitled “Jamaican now experiencing Pork Shortage – How Ready to Eat Pork causes Jamaicans to Love Pork as Processors want imports”.

The only thing still low-cost enough for me is sausages, as the amount that comes in a pack can last me for weeks. Plus, combined with the Brown Bread sold in the stores in Swallowfield, I can make hot dog sandwiches using ketchup purchased in bulk downtown.

Sweet tooth satisfied by Bag Juice – Sweet and sour cooking makes my food taste great

But when I'm studying, it's a whole different mater; I suddenly develop a sweet tooth. So instead of stewing meat in oil, I sometimes opt for a bottle of Malta or even bag juice with a dash of lemon juice, to give the meat and vegetables that sweet and sour flavour.



I'm especially attracted to chocolate and as the Summer holidays are coming around, I'm looking to make something with Chocolate like Oreo Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes as described in my blog article entitled “How to make Oreo Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes - My Chocolate Summer in Milk River as I'm dreaming of Swallowfield”.


But more recently, I've been using my spare time to make donuts, my favourite thing to eat along with Hot Cocoa. So here's a quick DIY (Do It Yourself) to make some really tasty Glow-in-The-Dark Chocolate Coated Donuts with ingredients you can all get downtown and using utensils you already have.

How to make Glow-in-the-Dark Chocolate Glaze Donuts – Goes well with Sorrel Wine

First you'll need the following ingredients:

1.      4 1/2 Cups of Flour
2.      4 Tbs Baking Powder
3.      1 Tbs Grated Nutmeg
4.      1/2 Tbs Salt
5.      1 Tbs Vanilla
6.      2 Eggs
7.      2 Cups Sugar
8.      2 Tbs Melted Unsalted butter
9.      1 Schweppes Tonic Water
10.  1 Pack Lasco Lasoy Milk
11.  Mixing bowl
12.  Mixer
13.  Rolling pin
14.  Donut Cutter
15.  Measuring Cups
16.  Measuring spoons
17.  Grater
18.  Non-Stick Frying Pot
19.  Cooking Oil
20.  Tray covered with Paper Towel

The instructions for making donuts are fairly simple as well:

1.      Place Eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl
2.      Mix with Mixer until light and fluffy
3.      Melt the Unsalted butter and have ready to add to the liquid mixture
4.      Use the Schweppes Tonic Water to mix the Pack Lasco Lasoy Milk to make 1 cup of milk
5.      Gradually add the melted Unsalted butter, Lasco Lasoy Milk and Vanilla and continue mixing
6.      Mix the Sugar, Flour, Baking Powder, Grated Nutmeg and Salt together in another bowl
7.      Add the Wet and dry ingredients together in the Mixing bowl the dry ingredients are in
8.      Mix gently and avoid the dough getting tough
9.      Dust your work area with flour, including the rolling pin
10.  Roll out the dough flat, making it about 3/8 of an inch thick
11.  Cut out the donut shapes using a Donut Cutter, taking care to press and not twist the Donut Cutter
12.  Heat up some Cooking Oil about 1 inch high in a Non-Stick Frying Pot
13.  Set up a Tray covered with Paper Towel so as to dry the donuts after frying
14.  Place the Donuts one at a time into the hot Cooking Oil, taking care not to overcrowd them
15.  When light brown on one side, flip and brown the other side
16.  Remove from the Cooking Oil when done and place in the Tray covered with Paper Towel

At this point you've finished making donuts and they are ready to eat. You can glaze them any way you want, but my absolute favourite glaze is to use Glow-in-the-Dark Chocolate Syrup made from scratch as described in my blog article entitled “How to make Chocolate Syrup that Glows-in-the-Dark, the ultimate Ice Cream Party Treat”.

Best of all, these Glow-in-The-Dark Chocolate Coated Donuts glow in the dark under UV light and are a great addition to my recipe for a Chocolate Bar shaped Chocolate Cake as noted in my blog article entitled “How to make a Chocolate Bar shaped Chocolate Cake – How Sorrel Wine complements Christmas and Chocolate which both start with a “C””.

This goes great with home-made Sorrel Wine as well, which you can make using the instructions in my blog article entitled “How to make Jamaican Sorrel Wine – JA$2500 for 5 1 Liter Bottles of Sorrel Wine goes well with Chocolate Christmas Cake”.

So until next time, I'll be studying for my final exams for my Professional Studies Program at MICO College University.



No comments: