My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica: Preserving Food at MICO - How to make Vegetables, Eggs and Shordy Bread last forever

Monday, September 21, 2015

Preserving Food at MICO - How to make Vegetables, Eggs and Shordy Bread last forever

Folks, ever since my return to Kingston, I've had to get used to water lock-offs that last an entire day.

Just this Sunday September 20th 2015, the water went away for an entire day! Evil!!

This led to me almost going into a meltdown like the last time as I'd logged in my blog article entitled “Water Shortage at MICO - How I'm dealing with the Water Shortage in Kingston”.

But this time I took my own advice and I was prepared. I'd filled up some three (3) containers with water a follows:

1.      50 Gallon Drum
2.      10 Gallon Drum in the Kitchen
3.      Assortment of bottles in the refrigerator

I also made sure I had some Bag juices frozen and ready to go, should this evil befall me yet again. Back in Clarendon, we don't have such water lock-offs; it's just goes away in the day time and returns at night, as Milk River is supplied by a private Spring.

This made me miss home all the more, albeit I still treasure my freedom in Kingston. So I’ve made up my mind to just get a water bottle like the slim pretty wild girls on the MICO University College have toting around, as there seems to be no rain in sight!

So now my mind turns to yet another problem, that being the fact that vegetables from my favourite Market in downtown Kingston as I’d pointed out in my blog article entitled “KSAC and NWC and the Raw Sewage problem in Downtown Kingston – How to restore order by making Downtown safe for Vendors and Shoppers” have gone sky-high in price. 

Almost every vegetable has doubled in price, making it almost pointless to travel to Coronation Market, as they're now on par in terms of price with Hi-Lo and Empire Supermarket in Cross Roads, where I usually shop for my meat substitutes. 

So how does one make your vegetables, Eggs and fruits last longer?

How to make Fruits, Vegetables, Eggs and Shordy Bread last forever

Actually there is a very simple technique; you have to remove as much moisture from them and store them wrapped up in Newspaper in your refrigerator.

Even better, if you have a large plastic container, you can line it with Newspaper, then get some silica Gel packs as described in “What is silica gel and why do I find little packets of it in everything I buy?”, published 2014, March 14 by How Stuff Works from and place them into a plastic bag, like one of those you would use to make suck-suck as shown below.

Google Logo

Perforate the plastic bag and place the silica Gel packs inside the container lined with newspaper.

Then place your food i.e. vegetables fruits, etc, inside and seal shut. The vegetables will stay fresh forever, as the silica gel packs remove moisture from the air, the main thing that makes vegetables and any food for that matter, go bad.

Congratulate yourself dear reader; you’ve just made a Moisture Trap. Anything, even Disposable Razor blades as describe in my MICO Wars blog article entitled “How to make JA$150 Gillette Double-bladed Disposable Razors last for Months”, once placed inside of this Moisture Trap, will never go bad and will last forever.

In fact, this same trick will also work with Bread, especially that infamous Shordy Bread from HoneyBun that's super tasty but moist and barely lasts a week. 



Place the slices inside of the Moisture Trap I've designed and your bread will stay fresh and mildew free for months!

To make eggs last longer, merely gather some candles and a stainless steel pot. Then melt the candle wax in the pot. Using a pair of griping tongs or even a brush, dip the eggs into the hot molten candle wax and coat the eggs from end to end.

Set them to allow the candle wax to harden with a thick enough layer of candle wax. Then place them into the Moisture Trap I've designed and your eggs will stay fresh and never go bad for months, passing the test as shown below.

Google Logo

I'm still experimenting with how to make meat last longer. So until then, use my food preservation Moisture Trap wisely. Sharing is caring so share this with all of your friends suffering in the drought in Jamaica!! 




No comments: